My Food Philosophy…
After studying food, diet, and nutrition for decades, I have my own beliefs when it comes to eating. I believe in the power of eating whole foods and plant-based, those which are grown in organic conditions with minimal or no processing. I don’t believe in dieting, or deprivation of any kind. What I eat is what I prefer to eat, to keep my body strong and my mind clear. I love food – I love to eat food and to prepare food. Most days, I eat a diet rich in dark leafy greens, cruciferous vegetables, nuts, seeds, and plant-based fats (such as avocado and coconut). I add vibrancy and nourishment with colorful fruits and vegetables, both raw and cooked, as well as fermented foods such as kimchi, kraut, and tempeh.
Here’s a summary of my nourishment objectives:
- Nourish your body with a variety of foods to help you look and feel your very best.
- Listen to your body and the messages it conveys—happiness, sorrow, fear, pain, exhaustion and excitement are just some of the feelings we manage with food.
- Feed your body what it craves. It knows what it needs naturally.
- Food is neither “good” nor “bad,” it’s not “clean” or “dirty.” Food is real, and real food is whole. Food is life sustaining, food is nourishment.
- Savor each season’s freshest fruits and vegetables. Eat the rainbow of colors to enrich your body with nature’s splendor.
- If you choose to eat animal products, do it in a conscious manner.
- Feel good, emotionally, about the food you choose to eat. Banish feelings of guilt around eating.
- Choose your food wisely; eat for both health and for pleasure, while recognizing that we are affected by everything we consume.